The state of Oregon has decided it is important that all children and teens in the state have health care, even those who are not legal residents. That’s why they now provide health care, at no charge, to eligible children and teens under age 19 (including pregnant teens), regardless of immigration status.

Haga Clic Aquí Para Ver la Versión en ESPAÑOL

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is OHP?

A: OHP is free health coverage for Oregonians who meet income and other criteria. It covers physical, dental and mental health care substance use disorder treatment. All covered services are free. To learn more, go to

Q: When did OHP become available to undocumented children and teens?

A: January 1, 2018, through fee-for service OHP.

On March 5, 2018, impacted members began receiving their health care through a coordinated care organization (CCO) in their area. CCOs are local health plans that help OHP members get the health care services they need.

Q: Who is eligible?

A: Immigrant children and teens younger than 19 who meet income and other criteria. This includes youth with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and those prior to 2018 who only qualified for emergency Medicaid, or CAWEM. There are an estimated 15,000 youth in Oregon that now qualify for full OHP coverage.

Q: How can I apply for OHP?

A: You can contact a trusted OHP-certified community partner in your area who can help answer your questions, and help you apply. Their help is free. Find the complete list of OHP-certified community partners at You can also call 800-699-9075 or 711 for TTY and ask to be connected to one.

Q: What does OHP cover?

A:  It covers physical, dental and mental health care and substance use disorder treatment services. For example, check-ups, tooth fillings, counselling, glasses and prescriptions. It also covers lab tests, X-rays and hospital care. It even pays for interpreters at appointments, and rides to and from the doctor’s office. You can see all the benefits in the OHP Handbook.

You can get the OHP Handbook  free of charge by contacting OHP Client Services,, 800-273-0557 or 711. It is also available in other languages, large print, braille or a format you prefer.

Q: My child has OHP, but we don’t have a doctor. How do we get one?

A: The CCO your child is assigned to can help you find a doctor, dentist or specialist who is accepting new patients, and who meets your needs. This includes getting access to the right kind of doctor, dentist or specialist in a convenient location and who has staff that meet your language needs and preferences.

If you have Health Share/CareOregon as your CCO, you can search for a health care provider on our website.

Q: How is OHP paid for?

A: The OHP that is now available to undocumented immigrant children and teens in Oregon is paid for using state funds only.